Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bella Swan: not so bad after all!

Beware! If you are into the Twilight series and have not finished Breaking Dawn, do not read this. I have some heavy duty spoilers. Read on at your own Risk.

I had previously written an article on another website about how the Twilight series was seriously starting to bother me. Here is the link to it.

http://www.xomba.com/why_twilight_starting_bug_me

The general thesis to my article was about how Bella Swan had changed during the course of the series from a strong independent girl who made the ultimate self-sacrifice in choosing to live with the dad she barely knew so her mother would be happy into a weepy insecure wretch who could not live without a guy. I considered her to be a poor role model for my daughter and just an annoying wimp.

Now that I have finished the series, I have totally changed my opinion. As I was loading the dishwasher for the third time today, I started to ponder the world that the vampire version of Bella lives at the end of the third book. She doesn't have to sleep, so she doesn't get too tired to deal with her husband or kid. She is never too tired from raising Renesmee to deal with whatever Edward has in mind for her after their daughter goes to bed. They don't eat, so she doesn't have to slave over a hot stove all day only to hear that Edward just isn't hungry at dinnertime. And if she doesn't have to cook, she therefore does not have to wash dishes and silverware, and pans with melted cheese stuck to them. She has superhuman strength, so she can clean up any mess and drag a two ton shop vac up a couple of flights of stairs without breaking a sweat. In short, she gets to be married, have a child, and not have to deal with any of the annoyances that we as mothers deal with every day for what feels like the rest of our natural lives. And she gets to live like this forever.

They say that as women we have to do it all. Bella actually gets to do it all, simply because she doesn't have to do it all. She has less on her plate from the get go. And she gets to be young and beautiful through it all.

So,I have changed my mind completely. Not only is Bella not the worst role model I have ever seen, she might be smarter than all of us put together.

So, if you see any vampires in your travels, maybe you could send one or two my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment